Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Why Hipsters Suck


It seems to have started with American Apparel, then came the hipsters. Or is the other way around. I suppose it is the old chicken and egg argument.

In the beginning they were kind of fringe, on the edge, almost rebellious. The ironic moustache aroused a chuckle or two, even from me.

Now the trend has turned to be the next Ed Hardy, the contest appears to have become who can look like they make the least money. Montreal is flooded with them. I can see them snickering at me as I walk by, they think, look at him, he looks like he has a good job!

The one thing I don't understand is: how come it is now cool to look like you are wearing a sweater that you sewed together from used carpet? Oh, that is a nice scarf, you made if from a curtain from the 70's? Amazing!

The Style Advisor hereby pronounces the hipster trend dead.

Style is timeless. Fashion comes and goes. Hipsters, I hope you go quickly.

9 comments:

Anna said...

Would you please remove this photograph? I am the woman in the picture, and I do not want you to use my image.

Josh Tengan said...

what is the hipster look but ubiquitous and inconsistent? not the easiest thing to pin down. i wouldn't be so quick to write it off

The Berbster said...

I think they look like poor Mexicans, no offense to the Mexicans out there.

Anonymous said...

okay seriously, why would you want the hipster style DEAD? this style NEVER go and obviously most of the people in the world are following this trend.
you don't know anything about hipsters, asshole.
i hope you're the one who should be dead not them.

Anonymous said...

Lol I totally agree with the author! Hipsters are the people who wish they were cool so they dress like freaks so ppl will notice them. Sadly they don't have the guts to make any real change so they say they are rebelling against the system with their clothes.... Oh and pretend to be really cultured by liking outlandish things that ppl either haven't heard of or don't care about. They say they are originals when in reality they all do the same thing. You CAN be original without the shock value of being a freak. Tadah.

R Hannan said...

I've had it with hipsters! I went to high school with girls who wore ugly ill-fitting 70s polyester clothes, trying toooo hard. Aesthetics matter people! two ugly acetate garments together- sartorial napalm. Just because you got dress diarrhoea from a thrift shop, this does not make you 'cutting edge': it just makes others want to cut the edge of their retinas.

Slim Suits said...

I think they're cool! am i right for my decisions? (it was just my personal opinion anyway)

Anonymous said...

All I know is that I've never met a hipster that I've liked and I am a very open, accepting and friendly person. Maybe I've just been meeting bad ones?

Anonymous said...

You HAVE to remove that picture, if "anna" is the person on it.
Otherwise you have to pay A LOOOOOOOT of money!!! It is illegal NOT to use a picture (copyright) without asking...

 
Mens Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory